My lifestream plugin in WordPress that keeps track of most of my social networking sites suddenly stopped working a few days ago and I was not sure how to kick start it back into action again. It turns out that disabling the plugin and then re-enabling the plugin adds the relevant jobs back into the wpcron system. My Lifestream (that appears on Absoblogginlutely! – IRL is now being updated correctly (and also shows my geocaching finds now too).
Thanks to a tip off in the comments, I’ve fixed my RSS feed. When I moved from the old version of MovableType the index.rdf file didn’t get regenerated as before but instead the atom and rss feed got generated instead – unfortunately my feed at feedburner didn’t know that! I’ve since changed the feed at feedburner to use the atom feed AND updated the meta tags in the template to point to the feedburner site.
I signed up for a beta invite to cocomment this morning and got an invite code a couple of hours later. Unfortunately it doesn’t work in MovableType (yet) but it does work in WordPress and blogger. I’ll start using this to track most of my blog posts on the web when possible. I did find that the default installation of redirectremover extension screwed up the bookmarklet (and also screwed up my url123.com bookmarklet too) so disabling that made it all work properly.
For some reason my feed is not being picked up as mine at feedster.
I’ve changed my RSS feed this morning due to a couple of new features that Feedburner have released. They spent thursday adding new features to Feedburner to celebrate to their last day in their old office (most people would have spent the day moving furniture!) One of the features is the ability to geotag an RSS feed so the absoblogginlutely feedburner feed now has the general location from my zipcode added. I’m not sure which rss readers will use this information but I’m sure it won’t be long before aggregators start to add this functionality in. I’ve also removed my flickr feed from automatically being included as I don’t always want my flickr photos included in this website feed so you may want to subscribe to my flickr photos here
I should really start a new category called feedster.
Anyway, going to the handles page on feedster gives the error message “File not found: ‘/home/feedster.com/htdocs//z/templates/st_v2_myfeedster_pb_en.htm'” – oops.
Now feedster is really starting to annoy me as their whole username/password/email account system is broken.
When you sign up for a username and password at feedster you also give an email address. However, you can have multiple accounts with the same email address in the database (as I’ve just proved by logging in with a new accountname and the same email address that is already valid on their database). However, if you have forgotten the password for an account and request a new password, the new password is unlikely to be for the original account that you signed up with – therefore you can never log in with this original account.
However, if you then login as a new account (my third account now) and try to claim the feed it originally says that the feed is not in the database and it needs to be added and then when you click on the add this feed to the database you get “string(73) “Duplicate entry ‘http://feeds.feedburner.com/absoblogginlutely’ for key 1″” followed by “Thank you for letting us know about this feed. We’ll index it on our next pass (generally within the next 1 to 3 hours)!” So we now have the situation where user account names do not match up with email address’s and the passwords AND there may, or there may not be more than one unique urls in the database.
I actually caught the aim account online last week and asked if they could have a look at it and they said they would later in the day but it still doesn’t work – very frustrating.
Update After posting this I go down to the pc where I was originally working and see an IM giving me a working username/password – so thanks to feedster2003 on IM – now I just need to delete the spurious accounts 🙂
Update2 Now that I’m in, I can’t change my password – I’m guessing it is because it goes something like this….. update password=”new password” where username=username and oldpassword=oldpassword and emailaddress=emailaddress and I bet one of those is wrong….
Anyone else having problems with feedster? I’ve been trying to claim my blog but as it won’t let me log in with my username and password it is a bit difficult to do. If I put in my email address (which is not my login id) then the new password gets sent and I can read it, but when I put it into the form it tells me that the username/password is incorrect. Emails to the feedback contact don’t get answered.
Then this morning I went to check and found that my feed has been deleted at the request of the user – huh????? The only thing I’ve done is changed my default feed on the web page, but the old feed still gets published and I didn’t explicitly ask for it to be deleted. grrrrr
I changed my rss feed location to Absoblogginlutely on feedburner as this should hopefully reduce the amount of traffic that I use, I only need to provide 1 feed, flickr photos can be included and I also get an easier method to track stats and clickthroughs from the feeds. You the user, should not see that much of a difference. At the moment I have not put in redirects for my current feeds, so current subscribers will use my feeds, new subscribers will get the feedburner feed.
I’ve also signed up for a gravatar with a new email address so expect to see that on your blog comments soon and I’ll soon be adding the plugin to this site for comments.