Outlook/office dialog boxes look funny.

For some reason, one of my (terminal) servers has started to show funky dialog boxes in office applications. Everything looks plain, like in vb3 days and the options dialog box in outlook is unusable as the dialog is too small for the content. Any ideas on what has caused this?
Wrong dialog box


Correct Dialog box – everything fits in the screen (although I snipped the bottom off)


Update – Mike – you are a genius. The funny thing is that I thought it was the fonts but at first glance it seemed ok. However, I compared the fonts in the appearance setting of the display applet in control panel and sure enough, the font settings were blank. A look at the Tahoma font in the font applet and it was 0 bytes – aha! Installed Tahoma again across the network and the fonts and dialog boxes are now back to normal. – Sir, I owe you a pint.

Forms in Word 2007

I’ve spent ages trying to work out how to modify a form in Word2007. This is because the bits that you need in the ribbon bar are not displayed by default. In order to fix this, Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Word Options. Click Popular and then select the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon check box, and then click OK.
You can get more help on form creation and design by going to Help / Creating Specific Documents / Forms

Office2007 upgrade fails

Tried to install the Office2007 cd and got told that I already had beta 2007 components installed (which is actually the Expression Beta) as per the error “Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s): The 2007 Microsoft Office system does not support upgrading from a prerelease version of the 2007 Microsoft Office system. You must first uninstall any prerelease versions of the 2007 Microsoft Office system products and associated technologies. Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.”
Several blogs later (funnily enough the first response in google was Scott’s page which I already read on a daily basis) I followed the instructions at kb928218 and removed the Expression Beta (which I had already removed from Add Remove programs and the My Uninstall program)

AV trial for Vista

CA are doing a free trial of Vista Antivirus software. Thanks to Digitalfive which is a new blog I’ve added to my reading list even though i don’t have Vista yet as I don’t have a machine powerful enough to run it (apart from my home machine but that needs to be stable(ish)
I’m also sorely tempted to download the Office2007 beta now that the rush is over, but again I don’t really have a machine to put it on – the main pc at home only has works – which is all I need on the machine, and the office pc is hands off. I also don’t have access to an exchange server to put 2007 against, and you really need to make outlook your main mail client to get the best shot of testing it. I’m fairly happy with thunderbird, although I wish it wouldn’t disable my extensions every time I upgrade to a newer version and I miss macro’s.

Spell check not working in Word.

It turns out that if Word does not spell check a document and you get a message that Word has spell checked parts of the document (sorry can’t remember the exact error message) you can get Word to check the whole thing by selecting all the text (ctrl-A) and then going to the Tools menu, selecting Language (of all things) and then selecting and unselecting the option “Do not spell check selected text”
Took me quite a while to figure that one out as I was looking under spelling options and custom.dic’s etc – not under languages!

Excel won’t open files.

…when you double click on them but will from the File/Open menu was a weird one that I hadn’t come across before. However, following the instructions in a Google Groups posting where the tools | options | general | ignore other applications was unchecked and it worked. Very strange. Not sure why this has started to happen but it works – *shrug*

office prompting for ZF561402.CAB

One of the laptops was prompting for ZF561402.CAB whenever one of the office apps was opened. The only thing that had changed was some sort of installation of frontpage2000 (for some unknown reason).
We were getting prompted for the office2003 cd, but when you put the disk in the drive it would still ask for the cd. Eventually solved it by putting a different copy of office2003 in the drive. Not sure what the difference is, but I know that the original cd used is the volume licence copy, yet I don’t think the cd required was the volume licence key one.

Opening this will run the following SQL command

I tried to open one of our mailmerge documents that I wrote some time ago in Word2003 and got the message “Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command”. This is to prevent you sending data to a malicious user when opening a word macro and can be disabled by following the instructions in KB article 825765. What this doesn’t explain is why my line

.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument

now comes back with a message “Run-time error 5852 Requested Object is not available”. With Word2000 it comes up with a different error message, but on the same line.
Update It turns out this problem is caused by opening the document in word2003, changing a telephone number and then saving it again. I guess that whatever VBA is in office2003 doesn’t like wdSendToNewDocument (or .Destination)
Update2 The fix is to create the registry entry as documented in Microsoft’s KB 825765 and then edit the document. Thanks to the newsgroup posting>/a> which gave me the solution. No idea why the popup message should disable some word macro, but by putting that value in it worked!