Following on from my earlier install of Uniform Server, I thought I’d check to see that wordpress can be installed on the server (which it can).
Extended entry has my dummies guide to installing on Uniform which is not much different to the installation at Installing WordPress official site but may help someone.
- download latest.zip from wordpress.org
- start uniserver using the start.bat program from the installation.
- unzip latest.zip to w:\ (this will create a subdirectory called wordpress.
- go to http://localhost/a/ and select Run mysql server.
- click back and then select phpmyadmin (http://localhost/a/phpMyAdmin-2.6.3-rc1/)
- Under “Create new database” in the right hand side of the web page enter wordpress, leave collation as is and hit create.
- Hit the home icon (looks like a house) from the right hand side and then select privileges from the right hand side.
- Click add a new user
- Choose a username for WordPress (‘wordpress’ is good) and enter it in the User name field.
- hostname should be localhost
- Choose a difficult-to-guess password (ideally containing a combination of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and symbols), and enter it in the Password field. Re-enter the password in the Re-type field. You may want to use the generate password option but make sure you make a note of it!)
- Write down the username and password you chose.
- Leave all options under Global privileges at their defaults.
- Click Go.
- Return to the Privileges screen and click the Check privileges icon on the user you’ve just created for WordPress.
- In the Database-specific privileges section, select the database you’ve just created for WordPress under the Add privileges to the following database dropdown.
- The page will refresh with privileges for that database. Click Check All to select all privileges, and click Go.
- Back in explorer, go to w:\wwww\wordpress and rename wp-config-sample to wp-config.php
- Edit the username and password from the information above (wordpress and w1rdpr4ss) from the above and save the file.
- Go to http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php to finish the install.
- Click First step….Enter Webblog title and email address on the next page.
- Make a note of the password given to you on this page and go to http://localhost/wordpress/wp-login.php
- You have now installed wordpress on uniform.
- Now take a zip backup of your uniform directory to ensure you can restore at any point if necessary.
I did find that for some reason the /a alias in php stopped working at this point. stopping and starting Uniserver fixed that though.