Posts Tagged ‘Skype’

Popular posts created in 2009 from Absoblogginlutely.net

Sunday, January 3rd, 2010

Following up from the previous post on most viewed pages of Absoblogginlutely.net in 2009, here are the most popular posts that were written in 2009. All but two of these are solutions to problems that I encountered during the 2009. Some of them were quick google searches, others were based on research and experience but hopefully the solutions have helped others in the same situation that I’ve been in.

  1. Firewall exception requirements for Symantec Endpoint Protection
  2. MYSql failed to install with the most recent install package
  3. Skype plugin caused firefox to slow down
  4. How to install 32bit print drivers on a Windows 64bit server
  5. Windows7 upgrade advisor failed to work
  6. Archiving an Exchange2007 mailbox using Powershell
  7. Fix to Exchange2003 NDR’s being delivered weeks after the mail failed.
  8. Granting Full access to a mailbox allowed me to export from Exchange 2007
  9. Fix to Out Of Office in Outlook 2007 failing
  10. My attempts at dual booting Windows 7 and Windows XP with Truecrypt on the original XP Installation disk

Firefox slow, especially gmail? – remove skype extension.

Saturday, August 22nd, 2009

Ever since I updated the home computer to run the RTM version of Windows7 my gmail and greader experience has been very frustrating in Firefox. GReader just had no idea what data to display in the right hand side of the screen and gmail would just stick in the “please wait”, “loading” or “still working” status after sending an email (but would actually send the email).

Rebooting firefox into safe mode, or running ie8 worked fine so I knew it was not the computer but had to be an extension. Fortunately this was 100% reproducible so I was able to do some diagnostic tests.

I disabled all the likely culprits – flashblock, adblock,greasemonkey, better gmail, web developer, noscript but I still had the same problem. It wasn’t until I disabled the skype extension that the performance of google reader was back to normal and I could now send mail again.  Seeing as though I only really use Skype to call my parents I don’t need the extension so it is now disabled. For some reason the uninstall button is disabled.

I did find a thread on the Google Help forums with the same solution which was nice to know that I wasn’t the only one with the problem and I came up with the same solution.