Just been using Sysprep to clone a laptop in work and couldnt find the timezone settings anywhere! You need to put the number for the timezone and suprisingly enough W2K doesn’t tell you the NUMBER for the timezone that you are in. Eventually found a page that tells you at SWYNK. In case the link goes down, GMT is 85 (Mean Time) , and 90 (without MeanTime). You can also put ProductID=1233-13123-1231-31 in the UserData section so you dont get prompted for it (something that doesn’t seem to be documented on the Microsoft site.
Tried Pocomail last night – its a pop3 client which looks really nice. Unfortunately there are several usability features that are annoying and make it unusable. First is that the data fields are sorted mm/dd/yyyy which for us brits is really annoying. Secondly it downloaded some mail and then hid it from me. Thirdly and most annoyingly, when it converted mail (and on incoming mail) some of the mail has been converted into xml format with loads of tags and when you print an email that doesnt have the tags displayed – guess what is printed out! Needless to say thats another piece of software removed.
Still no sign of being able to work out what is slowing my pc down 🙁
Well the serial number for WyvernWorks NetTweakPro arrived today, so as soon as I can get a stable link running, I’ll try it and see!
argggh – Freeserve are a bunch of thieving wotnots! After speaking on the phone this morning, they agreed to cancel my account at the end of this month – instead they cancelled it there and then – and won’t re-instate……grrrrrrr
20 minutes to cancel my freeserve anytime account is about 19 minutes too long (at national uk rates too!) The web forms insist on you putting in the BT account number but doesn’t like the number that I have put in!
PC is still refusing to run after about 90 minutes connected online, but I’m working on it – just need a lot of spare time for network testing with clean boots.
Woohooo the car has arrived and has a number plate that sounds like ooowee too goofy 🙂
I found another firewall this evening – something called Agnitum Outpost. The claims are very good, but my hour of testing has found it lacking. The interface is very clumsy (worse than Kerio’s) and a couple of times it came up with a dialog box with a reference to the configuration file, and an ok box to tick. After a machine hang all the configuration had vanished so I had to start again. And on a machine restart the program is not running in memory and protecting the pc from intruders,despite the “run on startup” and entries in the registry. The method of adding an application to the list of allowed programs is very clunky as half the time the application doesn’t appear in the list of applications spotted, and you have to use the browse function to go find the exe. Admittedly there is a wizard function, similar to Zonealarm that will let you config on an app by app basis, but again this seems to be pretty unreliable with not many options available at the moment of creating a rule. The auto update also crashed twice and when it did eventually download an 800kb patch file, it decided it was up-to-date. Stay clear of this program!
Well after a week or so on this new computer I have been experiencing locksups after about an hour with 100% cpu usage. Wasn’t sure whether it was the new email client, the firewall or being connected to the internet. Took Kerio firewall off the computer last night and it ran for over 12 hours with no problem, so after a brief flirtation – goodbye Kerio, welcome back ZoneAlarm