Funtime Franky blogs about MS reveals Windows Update v5 which is interesting reading. Apparently I’m meant to be on the beta team but I’ve not heard anything from Microsoft since February. Note that you can’t go to the website if you are not running Internet Explorer 5 or above (well you can if you change the user agent in Firefox)
Month: May 2004
Jeremy is blogging his Setting Up Software Update Services in a Non-Active Directory Environment experiences and includes some useful scripts to check everything is setup correctly.
Some swine has recently managed to nick my icq number, 910466, and register it for himself in the past couple of weeks. I’ve no idea how he managed to do it, although I think it might have been because my email address was set to a bigfoot address which I no longer use (and could possibly have been taken over by the “hacker”).
So I’ve had to register a new number which is about 25 digits long and a lot harder to memorise. So if you had my old icq number then you need to contact me and get the new one.
I tried to open one of our mailmerge documents that I wrote some time ago in Word2003 and got the message “Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command”. This is to prevent you sending data to a malicious user when opening a word macro and can be disabled by following the instructions in KB article 825765. What this doesn’t explain is why my line
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
now comes back with a message “Run-time error 5852 Requested Object is not available”. With Word2000 it comes up with a different error message, but on the same line.
Update It turns out this problem is caused by opening the document in word2003, changing a telephone number and then saving it again. I guess that whatever VBA is in office2003 doesn’t like wdSendToNewDocument (or .Destination)
Update2 The fix is to create the registry entry as documented in Microsoft’s KB 825765 and then edit the document. Thanks to the newsgroup posting>/a> which gave me the solution. No idea why the popup message should disable some word macro, but by putting that value in it worked!
Well it looks like my blacklist worked last night and the night before. Each night, about 8pm I get about 200 hits from about 20 different ip address’s (unfortunately dialups so they change) trying to promote various sick web pages. The past two nights they have been blocked by blacklist. However i’ve not made any changes apart from adding captcha and the log doesn’t say it was denied due to that. What is interesting is that I thought the blacklist would automatically ban ip address’s on repeated spams but it doesn’t seem to have done that. More investigation needed I think!
I’m working at home today studying for my AIX 5.1 exam. There was a funny paragraph in the redbook documentation –
Wa tape drive with ribbon hanging out the front of the cartridge may not function properly in the tape drive.”
Talk about stating the obvious!